TIP: Click on the PLUS signs to view the contents of each box below.
This class is for boys and girls ages 9 to 13 years old and focuses on learning the fundamentals of hula basics, movement, posture, chanting, language, protocols and body strengthening in a fun and lively atmosphere.
Students who master the goals of this class will be promoted to Papa ‘Ōpio 2 or 3 upon Kumu’s recommendation.
Classes are held at the Villages of Mā’ili located at 87-576 Kula’aupuni Street
- Let the Security at the Kiosk know that you are with the hālau.
- Park in any stall not marked RESERVED.
- Proceed to the Dining Hall for rehearsal.
- New students must successfully complete this 16-week Papa Kāhua or “Foundation” class before they are merged into their class choice, Papa ‘Ōpio 1
- Saturdays | 10:00 am to 11:00am
- 3rd Wednesdays | 6:00pm to 7:00pm
Papa ‘Ōpio 1:
- After new students complete Papa Kāhua, they will start in Papa ‘Ōpio 1
- Saturdays | 11:00 am to 12:00 pm
- 4th Wednesdays | 6:00pm to 7:00pm
Registration includes four (4) Saturday rehearsals monthly. If a month has five (5) Saturdays, then one of the rehearsals will be chosen to be a “day off” from hālau or will be used as a “makeup class” for a prior canceled rehearsal. Hālau performances, events and official excursions count as a rehearsal day.
Note that the hālau goes on two (2) 3-week vacations annually, so an extra Wednesday night rehearsal is scheduled every month to make up for those class cancellations. The vacation dates are as follows:
1. The last three (3) weeks of August (Competition Line final dress rehearsals)
2. A 3-week vacation for the Christmas & New Years holidays
Minimum 10* / Maximum 50
* Kumu reserves the right to postpone or cancel the class should the minimum not be obtained.
$25 USD per year
$35 USD per month
$40 Pā’ū Skirt (Optional; You may sew your own skirt)
*All fees are collected securely online via PayPal and are non-refundable.
Registration for classes can ONLY be done online and includes the following 4 steps:
Setup Administration Fee
Complete Student Info Card
Setup Monthly Dues
To Do List (Before your first class)
If your class choice is currently full, you will be directed to our CLASS WAIT LIST form after clicking on any of the buttons below.
Registration and payments are handled 100% online and it will take approximately 10 to 15 minutes to complete.
Students have reported experiencing errors when registering via their cellular phones, so we recommend that you register via a Desktop or Laptop computer with the most current version of your browser choice (Chrome, Firefox, etc).
Click any of the buttons below…