TIP: Click on the PLUS signs to view the contents of each box below.
This class is for boys and girls ages 9 to 13 years old and focuses on learning the fundamentals of hula basics, movement, posture, chanting, language, protocols and body strengthening in a fun and lively atmosphere.
Students who master the goals of this class will be promoted to Papa ‘Ōpio 2 or 3 upon Kumu’s recommendation.
Classes are held at the Villages of Mā’ili located at 87-576 Kula’aupuni Street
- Let the Security at the Kiosk know that you are with the hālau.
- Park in any stall not marked RESERVED.
- Proceed to the Dining Hall for rehearsal.
- New students must successfully complete this 16-week Papa Kāhua or “Foundation” class before they are merged into their class choice, Papa ‘Ōpio 1
- Saturdays | 10:00 am to 11:00am
- 3rd Wednesdays | 6:00pm to 7:00pm
Papa ‘Ōpio 1:
- After new students complete Papa Kāhua, they will start in Papa ‘Ōpio 1
- Saturdays | 11:00 am to 12:00 pm
- 4th Wednesdays | 6:00pm to 7:00pm
Registration includes four (4) Saturday rehearsals monthly. If a month has five (5) Saturdays, then one of the rehearsals will be chosen to be a “day off” from hālau or will be used as a “makeup class” for a prior canceled rehearsal. Hālau performances, events and official excursions count as a rehearsal day.
Note that the hālau goes on two (2) 3-week vacations annually, so an extra Wednesday night rehearsal is scheduled every month to make up for those class cancellations. The vacation dates are as follows:
1. The last three (3) weeks of August (Competition Line final dress rehearsals)
2. A 3-week vacation for the Christmas & New Years holidays
Minimum 10* / Maximum 50
* Kumu reserves the right to postpone or cancel the class should the minimum not be obtained.
$35 per month
$40-$55 Pā’ū Skirt (Optional; You may sew your own skirt)
*All fees are collected securely online via PayPal
Registration for classes is done online and includes the following 3 steps:
Read and agree to our “Student Guidelines” and “Liability Waiver”
Complete a Student Info Card
Setup Monthly Dues subscription